CLOWNE COMMUNITY ASSOCIATION CONSTITUTION
The name of the association shall be the Clowne Community Association.
2. The aims of the Association shall be
- To represent the residents of Clowne in consultation with the Councils and other bodies.
- To strive to improve the quality of life for the residents of Clowne.
- To raise funding to support projects which strive to improve the quality of life for the residents of Clowne.
- To uphold equal opportunities and work for good relations amongst members of the community.
- To represent the interests The Association shall hold regular meetings and produce regular newsletters to keep residents informed.
- The Association shall be non party political.
- The Association shall be managed by the Committee to be elected at the Annual General Meeting.
- The Committee shall meet at least six times per annum.
- The Committee shall consist of a Chair, Vice-Chair, Secretary and Treasurer, and up to twelve others who should be fully representative of the community. Any person who is registered bankrupt shall not hold a financial office.
- The Chair shall have a casting vote in the event of equality of votes.
- If vacancies occur amongst the officers in the Committee, the Committee shall have the power to fill them from among the members until the next Annual General Meeting (AGM) when elections for vacancies shall take place.
- All Officers shall stand down at the AGM and may stand for re-election.
4. Annual General Meeting
The Committee shall call an AGM each year for the purpose of:
- Receiving the annual report of the Committee
- Receiving the audited statement of accounts or independently examined accounts
- Accepting the resignations of the Committee and Officers
- Electing the Committee and Officers for the coming year. The positions of Chairperson, Secretary and Treasurer shall first receive the recommendation of the standing committee before election at the general meeting.
Any suggestions or alterations to the Constitution must be given to the Secretary in writing not less than 14 days before the AGM.
Not less than fourteen days notice of the AGM shall be given to those eligible for attendance.
5. Public Meeting
The Association shall hold at least four Public Meetings a year which shall be open to all members. Decisions of Public Meetings of the Association shall be binding on the Committee.
Not less than fourteen days notice of Public Meetings shall be given to all members.
6. Conduct of Business
- The business of the Association shall be conducted by a Committee elected at each AGM.
- There shall be no more than one officer from the same immediate family.
- At all meetings any offensive behaviour, including racist, sexist, abusive, threatening or violent behaviour will not be permitted.
- At all meetings, except those dealing with alterations to the Constitution, decisions shall be taken by a simple majority of members present and voting.
- Any alteration to the Constitution shall be taken by the approval of a two-thirds majority of those present and voting.
- The quorum for Committee meetings shall be five.
- The quorum for all Public Meetings shall be ten.
- It shall be a condition of membership that members at all times conduct themselves in a reasonable manner at meetings or in premises used by the Association. Any member may be excluded for breach of this condition, or for any other conduct contravening the objects of the Association by a majority of those voting at any Committee or Public Meeting.
Any member so excluded shall have a right of appeal to the following Public Meeting.
- All monies raised on behalf of the Association shall be applied to further the aims of the Association and for no other purpose.
- The treasurer shall keep proper accounts of the finances of the Association and shall open a bank account in the name of the Association.
- The Committee shall appoint between three and five authorised signatories for any cheques and the cheques shall be signed by at least two of the authorised signatories.
- On the election of a new Treasurer the accounts will be audited or independently examined.
- The Treasurer shall provide a statement of accounts at each Committee meeting and Annual General Meeting.
- The accounts of the Association shall be made available for inspection by any member of the Association who requires to see them.
8. Equal Opportunities
The Association, in all conduct of its affairs, prohibits discrimination or harassment on grounds of age, colour, sex or sexual orientation, disability, ethnic origins, religion, marital status and political beliefs.
The Association will actively address wherever reasonably possible any barriers to participation to any members of the community.
If the Committee, by a two-thirds majority vote, decide at any time to dissolve the Association they shall give at least twenty one days notice of a Public meeting to all those eligible for membership.
If such a decision shall be confirmed by a two-thirds majority of those present and voting at the Public Meeting the Committee shall then dissolve the Association.
On dissolution of the Association all assets, funds and equipment will be identified, and any subject to grant, loan and other conditions, will be dealt with in accordance with such conditions. All remaining assets, funds and equipment held by the Association will be disposed of to the benefit of another local charity or community group.
The Constitution was adopted as a Constitution of the Clowne Community Association by the following Committee members.
Chair _____ Allan Bailey
Secretary _____ Greg Lindley
Treasurer ______Abigail Thurnell
The Revised Constitution was formally adopted at the AGM 28 May 2009